Thread: Stub shafts
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Stub shafts

Thats ok I have a cub cadet here with a 12 kohler that tills my garden like nothing, rebuilt the tiller can't even hear it run now. I have not mowed with it but it mowed for a good many years and I did run it before. The old kohlers were something else, not like the hp numbers you have today. And those old garden tractors are something else too I plan to rebuild this cub cadet some day its a tank just like the JD are with cast axles and all that. I don't know how big the deck is, 46 maybe not sure. My deck mower is a toro GM with a new-ish 20 performer onan. That machine would live longer than me with some care, since its a commercial machine.

If I made one from a cart I would reverse it so it could steer sharp like a deck mower, may have to narrow the turning axle and may have to shorten the wheelbase as well. Not sure how well the cart would hold a steady low speed either, it may need a different trans/rear or something. But if you have the deck run by its own engine that eliminates having to develop a pto for it, it would be much simpler to build. I worked at a commercial distributor of lawn equipment for a while and the customers told me a diesel mower took about 1/3 the fuel. So a 10hp diesel on the deck and electric cart might get your lawn mowed for possibly 1/4 the fuel of what a gas mower uses. On the other hand maybe it would be better to start with a deck mower and fill it with batteries lol, but I have a new engine in this one so not going there.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote