Thread: Stub shafts
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #5
army
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Stub shafts

I run 60" decks with 20 HP 532 Kohlers. Horsepower ratings back then were less fudged. I have three John Deere 400's and they'll mow 6" tall gas at 5 mph all day long. They're certainly not zero turns but they aren't trying to be. They're tractors. I have a number of attachments for them. A scraper blade, dozer blade, 46" snowblower, three 60 inch decks and an all steel and glass Cozy Cab on one of them. Two of them have three point hitches and can handle any Cat 0 implements and some Cat 1. I just finished restoring one of the tractors. Had every nut and bolt off it. It's a brand new 1975 JD 400.

Back in the day I used my old 1964 model 8 HP Massey and 42" deck to cut two acres of grass for many years. It wasn't very speedy but it did an excellent job. If 8 HP will handle 42 inches you'd think you'd only need 12 or so to use a 60" And you'd be right. The extra HP is actually for going faster and handling longer grass. My 400 is a contractor quality piece of equipment. No way would my golf cart with a deck hung under it match the sheer sturdiness and versatility of my tractors. That's ok. They don't have to. They only have to mow a reasonably level lawn at a reasonable rate.

Sorry.. didn't mean to do a Mr Lawn Care on you. I'm actually an IT guy. I just like small equipment.
army is offline   Reply With Quote