Thread: Stub shafts
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Stub shafts

I've thought about converting an elec cart to run in reverse with a deck on it, but use a clone 13 or something to power the deck. It should save some fuel. Not sure how long batteries would last running the deck too, far as 2 hour mow time/etc. My 62" mower has a 20hp and could use more, so sustaining that kind of power may be difficult with batteries. Better yet would be to run the deck with a 10hp diesel, they use much less fuel in mowers. If I can get a deal on one I would convert my deck mower to a diesel 20-25hp air cooled v twin. That would be great.

B&S sells a stub shaft, no reason why you can't use one. Many of them just put a spacer on the center and a pulley on top of that bolted on. That is how my deck mower runs the whole machine; a pulley for the pto and a rubber coupler in the center to run the hydrostat shaft. Nothing runs off the rear shaft of the engine. Anyone with a lathe could make one.

I have a JD mower deck too but the spindles are froze up, or feel like it. May be able to rebuild it not sure, I put bearings in a different one and it worked great. I'd rather use two 36-50" decks if I were to build a mower (better articulation), though 10hp diesel may not run that much lol. It is awesome to have 60" of deck with a front deck, I can mow way more acre per hour than a garden tractor style mower. I could mow faster with mine if it had more power but it can't swing high lift blades. You can run significantly more ground speed with those.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote