View Single Post
Old 02-12-2020, 01:32 PM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: ordered a Jakes long travel kit for my EZGO TXT and am second guessing myself

I did notice on one cart I built that the turning radius increased. It's just from the width and the lack of increased steering angle. The stock steering remained the same and the "Ackerman Angle" did not change, therefore the turning radius is increased.

There is a way to correct that. The steering would have to me modified for more clearance to allow the wheels to turn in at a sharper angle. It can be complicated, but one way is to add a rack and pinion unit so that it eliminates the pitman arm swing and steering rod that connects the two spindles. This can also correct bump steer and camber change through the suspension cycle.

I will concede that the Jakes LT kit is not a perfect operating front end. It has its drawbacks. With that said, it can be improved and made near perfect with some dedication and work. It also is vastly better off road than any stock suspension system. The ride quality is superior to a stock front end and especially a standard lift kit.

Parts quality seems to be the biggest issue I'm hearing. However, no one had addressed the fact that some issues could come from improper installation and or workmanship. Not saying that's the case, but it's a factor.

Suspension and steering work is not a cookie cutter job. It requires a bit of knowledge and experience to be able to correct an issue properly. Most of the info is available online, but it does take some reading, and I'm not going to lie, it takes some ability. I would not call suspensions and steering work a DIY type project for someone with zero suspension and steering knowledge. One incorrectly installed part can cause a lot of problems and even injury or death. It's that serious of a modification.

Even though these "kits" are supposed to be bolt on, there is no such thing as a "bolt on perfect" kit for any type of non stock modification for any vehicle. You just don't bolt these kits on and they're perfect instantly. To expect something to just bolt on and be perfect without some tweaking and fiddling and adjustment is just not realistic.

Also, for the price, we cannot expect something like an off road suspension to last forever or to be without problems. The price of one of these kits vs. building your own double wishbone long travel suspension kit is not even close. I've done it. It take a ton of time, and a reasonable amount of money to design and build your own suspension system, and have it work properly without issue. Nearly impossible for the average DIY'er. So these kits are supposed to get you there quickly, inexpensively, and without a ton of fabrication work. I would say any off road suspension kit is a 75% kit, meaning, they get you 75% the way....the other 25% is up to your and your abilities to get it right.
slonomo is online now   Reply With Quote