View Single Post
Old 01-25-2020, 12:49 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Oil pump cover and o ring.....

I'd watch the oil pressure if you have a gauge. I had one of these I rebuilt I had a hell of a time fighting the lubrication system... losing pressure, losing prime, the works. I had that motor in and out of the cart more times than I could count. I eventually swapped and moved enough parts that I'm not sure if it was coincidence or something just seated right finally but it was finally good.

But watch the oil pressure, especially after driving it a few miles and getting the engine good and hot. I have yet to find a definitive spec as to what oil pressure *should* be, but the one I recently rebuilt behaved itself mostly lol. I had around 60psi on a cold start. As I drove it and it got good and hot ir seemed to settle in around 25ish psi.

I'd definitely recommend a mechanical gauge. The pressure kigjt it just a dummy light. It shuts off around 3psi so you've got no way of knowing if its 3psi or 30. You can pick.up a cheapie at harbor freight, just remove the sending unit sensor and screw the adapter for the gauge in its place.

My biggest issue with these motors is the camshaft is the first thing to go when its starved of oil. And the side of the camshaft by the timing belt I just cannot understand how it gets oil other than splashing in the little notch in the top. The pre-MCI motors had a feed through the valve cover to supply.oil to that side.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote