View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 01:29 PM   #9
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

Default Re: Speeding up your Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmjohnson00 View Post
What is the maximum for safe operating RPM's.
Try to keep it under 4600 if you can. 4200-4400 is about where the "comfort zone" stops. The highest I've seen these engines go is 6000. They run around 2700 give-or-take on the factory governor setting.

Quote:
I would like to retain the rev limiter to prevent damage internally.
A grand idea! 3800 is plenty if your clutches are machined right.

Quote:
In machining both clutches, does this have a direct affect on the engine rev?
Less RPMs = more speed. You will have more take-off power as well as more top end speed.

Quote:
5350 is up there?
Taking into consideration that most automobile engines from the 1970s and 1980s wouldn't rev 5000 without modifications, it's impressive for a small engine. You don't want to do it for long, though. Oil pools in the head and gets forced around the valve seals and causes it to smoke. General Motors's Atlas (2.9L I4, 3.7L I5, and 4.2L I6) engines have the same problem around 7300 RPMs.

Quote:
Also, are there available mods for intake or exhaust systems?
Maybe k&n with new jets on the carb?
These engines need a certain amount of back pressure to run correctly. You could thin out your muffler a little, but I would not ditch it altogether.

Try just the K&N intake to begin with. Club Car's carburetors are jetted from the factory pretty close to what the K&N needs. If you still don't have enough power/speed, you can get the aftermarket jets.

If I may make an additional suggestion, I would recommend milling ten thousandths off the cylinder head, adding shims to the valve springs, and boring the cylinder for a +.050 piston and rings.