View Single Post
Old 05-08-2019, 08:39 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Question on A-Arm / Steering Rack mounting

I would ditch the gear box and get a rack and pinion unit. You can find racks as narrow as 11" and as wide as 20". Most will be listed as "sand rail rack and pinion" units.

If you use the stock gearbox with a long travel dual a arm suspension, you will have lots of bump steer. When the suspension fully compresses or extends, the tie rods will push or pull on the spindles because the pivot points on the inner tie rods are toward the center of the vehicle. Also, these setups cause the tie rods to be at a different angle than the suspension arms, which will cause bump steer also.

With a rack and pinion, you want the inner tie rod ends to be directly between the top and bottom a arm mounting points, and be parallel to the a arms. This setup will have the least amount of bump steer.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/lifte...on-done-6.html

I too contemplated building my own parts, but when I did the math on cost, it made sense for me to buy used atv parts instead, and also use the subframe from the atv and graft it into the golf cart. I did all this without any welding or fabrication experience, and it's seen hard trail use, jumps, and regularly hauls 1000 lb trailers in my yard. Never broke a weld.

My only gripe is the wheel/tire setup. I wish I could have some larger tires. Maybe the next one I do will have a Grizzly suspension.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote