View Single Post
Old 06-03-2022, 10:34 AM   #10
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: 89 Columbia Restoration; Sentimental Version

Got some more work done on the cart yesterday.

I was able to replace the choke cable with a universal 8 foot cable that I trimmed to fit. I ended up deleting the "push back" spring that intended to release the choke when the choke knob was not actually pulled, Over time, this set up simply doesn't work all that well so it's "pull the choke knob on, push it off" for this cart.

A new carb is on. Note that OEM carbs are no longer made but carbs from 1988 EZ GOs and some other carts are still available. They bolt on using the same gaskets and linkages but the air intake manifolds don't match so I had to make one out of some PVC board and fittings. Pic attached.

Like I previously mentioned, these carts came with electronic ignition modules which are no longer made. I am converting this to an HEI via the process described here:

https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=124530

I had to find a points plate to make this happen and found that used points plates are tough to find and new ones are $100. I ended up getting one for a Harley motorcycle for $15 and slightly altering it to fit. I had to decrease to diameter just a bit with a belt sander to make it fit and extended the bolt slots just a bit with a jigsaw to allow for a bit more timing adjustment. It looks like it will work just fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Air Manifold.jpg (25.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Air Cleaner.Carb.jpg (56.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Carb.jpg (33.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Points Plate.jpg (51.6 KB, 0 views)
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote