Thread: Primer / Sealer
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Primer / Sealer

Currently prepping my g16 for base/clear paint (PPG), and planned the following order:

1. clean
2. scuff with scotch brite
3. fill nicks/scratches with 'Icing', sand smooth
4. clean
5. tack
Adhesion promoter
6. seal with DP90LF Go with three coats of the K36 or Ultimate 2K high build primer then sand smooth with 320 to 400 with orbital sander.
7. color (shop line:mazda metallic burgundy)
8. clear (shop line)

Now that I've filled the blemishes with Icing, I'm hesitant about just going straight to the DP90LF seal coat. You are correct high build primer required instead of sealer. I would much rather shoot a good coat of sandable primer (K36) and give it a nice final dry sand with 400 grit paper.

1. Can I shoot another coat of K36 as a sealer? No this is designed to go over the high build primer.
2. Do you sand the seal coat? Only if you let it sit for more than a couple of days. If so just scuff with scotch brite.
3. Does the sealer color effect the shade of the color coat, ie; will the metallic burgundy look better laid over the light gray K36 vs the black DP90? Yes the sealer will effect the color. If you want the burgundy to pop more go with white sealer.
4. What spray tip is best for primer vs. base coat vs. clear coat (using a Devillbis HVLP gun)? The tip depends on the gun but you use a larger tip for high build primer than you do for base and clear. I use a 1.3 or 1.4 for base and clear and slightly thinned sealer, and a 1.7 for primer.

Will post pics of finished product! I'm spraying the golf cart to get back into the 'practice' of painting, as I have a few other 'projects' in the near future!
master66 is offline   Reply With Quote