View Single Post
Old 07-03-2019, 09:13 PM   #1
Stian222
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Smile Cheap Lithium battery replacement!

Had to share cause this forum has been good to me. My experimentation paid off and I am super happy with the results so here is the summery.
Basically I used 4 of these —>
VALENCE U-CHARGE U1-12RT SERIES BATTERY 40 AH LITHIUM
Got em used off eBay for about $150 a piece. Some I got for less but the most I paid was $150. They are usually from hospital equipment carts and have plenty of life left in em. New they are very expensive but used is fine by me.
I was thinking I needed 8 but decided to try 4 first. Glad I did because i’ve got all the power I need. I just ride around my neighborhood and an old abandoned golf course that runs behind it. My onboard analog meter has never gone below the top of the green even at the end of the day. I can go days without charging them cause there just isn’t a need. The best part is that i’ve gone from about 400lbs of batteries to 60lbs and you can feel the difference in the ride. Less weight equals less wear and tear on everything.
I’m using a Modz Max 48v 15amp charger I got thru Amazon. Oh yeah, the batteries have a built in BMS so no worries there. Yes I have bypassed the OBC but everything else is stock except for LED headlights and taillights. The lights still work fine even though it’s going from 12v instead of the stock 16v. Sorry I don’t have pictures from the installation. All I needed to do was cut a couple pieces of 3/4” plywood to fit in the floor space and then use 2 ratchet straps to hold it all down. There is a way to thread the straps thru so that they don’t hang low under the chassis.
I realize it won’t be enough power for a souped up whip but it’s good for my purposes. If you try this and something goes wrong I’m sorry. But just know that it’s working like a charm for me and I wish you the best of luck. I’m not great with this stuff but I’ll try and answer any questions you might have. Cheers, Stian222
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EEEBDA05-0804-4CE1-BA4B-F7A3A1C8F012.jpg (169.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg D2E4A1E3-11B0-428D-BA21-96767A46BC8F.jpg (218.8 KB, 0 views)
Stian222 is offline   Reply With Quote