View Single Post
Old 04-21-2019, 07:37 AM   #10
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO TXT 94-01.5 36v DCS - Motor / Controller Questions

Update:

So, considering the excellent advice given I am going to upgrade my controller, solenoid, and wires as a first step. Thank-you to JohnnieB for identifying the issues with my current controller and wiring. That information was incredibly helpful in explaining to my wife why it should be done. :)

I am a planner. So sorry for the details. But, in my profession (software engineering) good design and unit testing is a mantra. I also like to break down whatever I do into microservices to better contain what I am doing. So I apply the same theory of "lean product principals" to a number of things I do... Drives my wife nuts but, I rarely blow up things as I have an easy to implement plan. So please bear with me and sorry for all the detail. Mostly the detail is it for my benefit. I am sure experienced posters and contributors to this site have seen it all before and need less info. (I also type incredibly fast at around 85wpm which contributes to my verbal diarrhea in posts.)

So my steps that I will be taking shortly are:
1. Change all wiring to 4ga at minimum or 2ga (if I can find in CND) for a 48v setup as recommended by JohnnieB.

2. Purchase and install new MZJ400-48V solenoid as recommended by JohnnieB.

3. Purchase and install new controller. Alltrax or Navitas based on what I can easily source in CND.
I will try to drive out the season on my 36v battery set and current stock motor. Should the motor die because I programmed the controller wrong I will replace it.

My questions to this forum are:
a. Irrespective of being able to find it in Canada, which motor would be the best for high-torque application?
Note: I am staying 36v for the time being so if there is a motor that can operate at 36v and 48v that would be great.

I have no need for speed really. The park has a speed limit and lots of deck sitters who will remind you to "SLOW DOWN!" should you exceed it. I drive mostly on nice wide trails that surround the park and gravel covered roads in the park. There are hills.

I am willing to import the right motor if I am unable to find a CND retailer. Or dive to Buffalo and pick up one there and drive it over the border myself if I have to.
b. When I do move to 48v do I need to change the charger receptacle on my cart or can I use the D Plug that is already on my cart?
I think I have found the answer on Carts Unlimited FAQ but, I am a nerd so I want to be 100% certain. The answer being: I can keep my old "D Plug" receptacle as in the FAQ it states:

Quote:
Originally Posted by From the FAQ from ScottyB @ https://www.cartsunlimited.net/-f-a-qs.html

8v chargers are available with the D plug to fit your cart.
Thank-you to ScottyB as well who has indirectly helped me tremendously by contributing to this forum and with all the info on his site Cart Unlimited. Sorry for using up all your bandwidth on your site. All those hits from CND are probably from me. LOL.

Cheers,
Impaled
Imapled is offline   Reply With Quote