Old 10-15-2021, 08:39 AM   #5
superfan86
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Cosmetics done. Time for some performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnyArt View Post
'97 TXT 36v

Figures just when I thought the cart was done...

Planting food plots the cart was struggling to haul my wife and I along with several large sacks of seed through plowed ground. I smelled ozone pretty strong as well. Are these indications it's time for more power?

I'm not that concerned with speed but I'd like the thing to be able to spend a couple hours carrying significant weight and get up and down some hills.

Would I be happier upgrading to motor and controller with FLA or going to a drop in 36v Li pack?

If I'm understanding correctly the torque won't change with Li but the weight savings will make be the big difference.
Are you a Series or a Sepex cart? Series has a f/r toggle under the seat but no tow/run switch.

I have run a 36v lithium on stock controller and FLA with a Alltrax controller, both on the same Sepex cart They are comparable in "average use" scenarios, but each has advantages over the other. I've also installed a 36v lithium in a stock Series cart and had great results too.

You prob don't need a new motor if what you have now is mostly meeting your needs with old batteries.

IF I was going to buy 1 thing today, the Lithium would be it. The advantages over an Alltrax controller for the average user just due to the improved performance and lack of maintenance can't be overstated. You can always add a controller later to really unlock the cart.

- $1300: lithium/stock controller will give you full instant torque and will sustain. It never fades like lead acid. You will also benefit from the weight reduction with better handling and dramatically improved acceleration. Range will improve by 3x-5x. Disadvantage: You are FULLY committing to 36v.

- $1200: Good FLA/Alltrax controller will give you dramatically improved acceleration and top speed. I personally didn't "feel" a dramatic improvement in torque, but I'm sure its there. Lead acid limitations will remain with battery fade over sustained use. I didn't notice a loss of range with the controller. The options to customize regen and other items (Sepex cart would have this, but not a series) is very nice. Also gives you an upgrade path to 48v down the road if you desire.
superfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote