Old 05-09-2017, 10:53 AM   #2
transfixer
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 1997 Club Car Ds Torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXLuke View Post
Hello everybody!

First time poster here, and I'd like to thank everybody on this forum that helps out folks like me.

I have a 97 Club Car DS (48volt 3.1hp motor) and the thing zips around on flat ground, and downhill I've clocked 22 mph occasionally. However, I live in a particularly hilly part of VA and when I have myself, wife, and son on the cart, we crawl up the hills at a speed of 6 mph or so.

The batteries are 5 years old but hold a charge at 50.0-50.5 volts for a few days while not plugged in to the maintainer. The voltmeter reads between 45.5 and 46.5 while under load going up these hills and returns to around 49 when we resume on flat ground. Therefore, I don't believe the pack is bad.

What are y'alls suggestions to get more torque up the hills? I understand that torque doesn't mean more speed necessarily, but will it help us go a little faster, maybe 8 or 9 mph, up the hills?

Thanks!
I'm new here also, and have a 99 DS cart, same setup as yours, from what I have learned so far upgrading the controller will get us the torque we're looking for, I recently sent my original controller ( which was only 225amps) off for an upgrade to 400amps, it was a more economical option than buying one of the aftermarket controllers, while I understand the aftermarket controllers have much more capabilities, I wasn't trying to go all out with power and $$ , supposedly I can use the 400amp controller without worrying about damaging my original motor, I am upgrading all the power cables to 2ga and replacing the solenoid with a higher amp, just to increase dependability and current flow with the upgraded controller. I'll know how much improvement in a few days when my controller comes back.
You can upgrade the motor to a higher HP motor as well, but that will require a higher amp controller also, so I'm starting with the controller, hopefully that will be all I will need to get the torque I want.
transfixer is offline   Reply With Quote