View Single Post
Old 06-23-2016, 01:28 PM   #1
PorkChopsMmm
Not Yet Wild

Default Guidance needed for Madjax 6" lift install with heavy duty rear springs

So I've been lurking here for a while, reading up, watching YouTube's, etc. and felt like I was prepared for the lift and rear shock install on my ~1996 48V DS. I ran into some issues and have some questions -- any help?

1) I am having problems, even when helped by a friend, with lining up the mounting hole in the top of the axle block and the bottom of the new heavy duty springs. I compared the new springs to the old and they are the exact length but it seems no matter what I do with one side of the axle still attached to the golf cart that I can't get them to line up easily.
- Would it be better to use a second set of jack stands to hold the axle and completely disconnect it from springs/original ubolts/shocks on the cart to get everything to line up?
- I also found out the hard way (and missed it in my prior research) that the driver side brake line is short for the job. A fix I read was to remove the brake line from the mount plate and let it hang. My brake line is very firm in the plate -- is there a way to remove it without damaging the line?

2) I also ordered 3.5" shock extensions in case I needed them with my heavy duty rear shocks. It seems from lining up things, despite the troubles in #1, that the extensions will be needed to get me the length I need to get the shocks lined up with the new mount plates on top of the new springs. I added an extension to the bottom of the shock where it meets the plate and it doesn't look right -- like the rubber bushings would need to be over the larger wrench flats on the extension.
- Are these shock extensions needed with the lift on an electric cart (I keep seeing it said they are needed for gas but can't find something either way for electric)?
- Do the shock extensions get installed from the top?

Thanks in advance. Here are some pictures of the current state of the build. I thought the front was going to be hard and focused on that a lot. The rear has by far been much harder.

Whoops, can't post links to pictures. Here they are in case you add "h" to the beginning of the URL.
ttp://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj129/PorkChopsMmm/Home/4D16CDE3-CA82-4B74-B8C1-EAD602F26768_zpsk1metjc0.jpg

ttp://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj129/PorkChopsMmm/Home/F7D7B331-7305-4D4A-86E3-D4619626B9C4_zpsl0ftlpak.jpg
PorkChopsMmm is offline   Reply With Quote