View Single Post
Old 04-25-2015, 10:12 PM   #5
Oneunder
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Nissan Leaf Balancing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronncat View Post
Unfortunately, your hobby charger would have to be able to charge the Leaf cells to about 4.1 Volts. Nominal voltage for the cells is 3.8V. Also remember that each of the 2P sections is 60-66aH. Your charger would need to be capable of charging at a fairly high amperage to fill em up.

I used a mini-bms on my 84V pack and am doing the same on my 72V pack. These will eventually top balance my packs. On the other hand Sportscoupe and others just bottom balance the packs with no bms. I'm sure both methods will work, but I like the added security of neither overcharging nor over discharging my pack.
I did not consider the ah, only the volts. My thoughts were that even if I did not reach full charge, as long as each cell was charged to the same level, they would be balanced the same way a bottom balance would. No question the BMS on my LifePo pack has kept me safe. Saving a few dollars by going without is tempting.

Roncat, you mentioned in a previous post that you had some problems with the BMS install on the ezgo. No hesitation in getting another as opposed to bottom balance?
Oneunder is offline   Reply With Quote