View Single Post
Old 06-19-2018, 08:35 AM   #5
blfinche
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Starting My Lithium Conversion

My first shipment has arrived. It didn't take too long. I order on 6/12 and it arrived on 6/18. This was from Australia and they are 12 hours ahead of us. Ian answered my question via email promptly. So far I'm happy with the support I've received.

BMS
My BMS is an integrated unit that handles the battery management functions and monitoring, which is a little different than the one used by E36Racer in his build. His battery his battery monitors where separate units that communicated over the CAN bus. This unit is probably a little less flexible, but it looks to be capable of handling what I need. It probably costs a little less too. Zeva has also switched from molex connectors for the CAN bus, to screw terminals. I wasn't looking forward to wiring those connectors

Touch Screen

I ordered the touch screen in a case thinking I could take it out and panel mount it, if I preferred. It looks like this was a good assumption. The screen is held in a 3D printed case by four screws. I can use the case as template, if I panel mount it. Also, the touch screen has switched over to screw terminals.

Shunt

The system uses a shunt to measure the current flowing from the battery and this information is used to determine the amount of capacity used. It is not absolutely required, but it's on $15 more and who doesn't want to know how much battery capacity it left. Zeva also has a current sensor, you can use on the CAN bus. It's about 2.5 times the costs and I doubt that it is accurate.

Temperature Sensor

What can I say? It's really tiny and detects battery temps. There is only one temp sensor interface on the unit, so you are instructed to place the sensor in the center of the pack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uqaKbOaTTCKPXlk+pt5KwA.jpg (171.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 8u9uthGVR+6cFEiqLQUcTw.jpg (150.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg E4Vbzj2gSkCVX%rnrbu3%w.jpg (91.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg xXmFLafST3+RsajbzI9mDw.jpg (125.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg XZpZIexcSrOAhJRO4mDDIg.jpg (158.4 KB, 0 views)
blfinche is offline   Reply With Quote