View Single Post
Old 07-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #7
JThw8
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1960s Club Car assistance needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post
Wow! Very Cool! The coil is definitely a resistor. It's very hard to tell from your photos as to what connects to what. That perforated channel the resistor is mounted on is a rig! I would change that as soon as you can. It may short out the resistor! Somewhere there has to be a wiper board to connect to various points along the resistor. That is what gives you speed control! Back then there may just have been two speeds. The first through the resistor and the second directly to the motor. This is just a guess on my part based on what I can see in the photo. Looks like you have something to work on as it doesn't look that bad to me!
I think your assumption is correct, wiper board would be a good description, I think, of where the throttle linkage connects to the transaxle. The round object it connects to has 3 wires on it, one going to the motor, one to the resistor and the other from the batteries (I think, I will confirm tonite) and then there are 3 or 4 wires connected to the motor as well.

The resistor coil itself is in bad shape, the coil is broken in a spot or 2 and there appears to be another place to make another connection on it but there is nothing hooked up. I havent seen any other resistor coils like this so I'm wondering if it can be replaced with a more standard coil and exactly how that should be done. It would be easier with wiring diagrams I'm sure :)

I will do my best to get good photos and diagram the connections.

I really appreciate all the input so far.
JThw8 is offline   Reply With Quote