View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #1
vmdano
Not Yet Wild

Default Project snowpig! Electric Snowblower Cart!

Hello,
I have been lurking on this site for a while, enjoying all the great info!

I have been quietly working on my cart to clear our 250' dirt lane of snow and be able to sand during icy conditions.

Build out
Last year I picked up a pair of 90's EZGO electrics for $400.00. One had an Alltrax DCX300 controller and I was able to get it running on the old 6v batteries however range was quite short. Well working in a an IT Datacenter has it's advantages, we did a UPS battery refresh and I was able to acquire some Dynasty 12v 100 amp hr batteries. This summer I welded in new brackets for those batteries and changed the contactor out to 48v. This fall and winter I was added a 5" lift and 24" tires off a polaris atv I also wired out the cab for a bluetooth stereo, dome light, 2 x cigarette lighters for heaters, reverse light, volt gauge running lights, strobe and flood light. I got a cheap nylon cab enclosure for the unit to cover it up and added some fender flares. I added in a 5th battery just for all the accessories. Pics to follow of the build out! I also mounted a trailer hitch to pull a small trailer and a 120lb tow behind spreader.

Finally when I started looking at plowing the lane, I knew a plow wasn't going to suffice as with dirt there is limited traction even with chains and the snow here in Halifax, Nova Scotia can be very heavy. The dirt road also has a couple big hills. So I had a an electric motor (MARS ME-1003 from Evdrives) from a boat motor conversion that wasn't in use over the winter (See http://www.edsboattips.com/ under boater innovation award for details about that project). So I acquired a 42" Craftsman dual stage snow blower auger and made a direct pulley drive with the motor mounted up. I ran a separate 48v contactor and no controller (motor can be ran this way).

Well yesterday I finally got everything wired up. A dry start of the blower is here:

5 cm of snow fell yesterday evening, a perfect chance to try the beast:

There is still lots to do, I have no chute control and need to install the winch to lower/raise the blower. But other than that it worked very well! I had some issues with the auger chute being blown off by chunks of ice coming from the auger too, speed of blower is a little faster than stock I believe, lol.

My apologies for lack of pics, I will put some more up later however please feel free to post questions and I will answer as best possible. Thanks again for such a great site, tons of info!
vmdano is offline   Reply With Quote