View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #3
3WheelDumbo
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: A Tale of Six Batteries.

help me out Johnny, new to this and trying to figure it all out (I do have an electronics background) I just bought an 88 36V EZgo 3 wheel. The batts are Interstate 6v (not sure Ah) and about 4 years old. When I got the cart home and initially charged it (Total Charge w/elapsed time dial) It only charged for about an hour. I was impatient so I jumped on it and tried it out. I ran it around for 15 minutes or so and noticed it was arcing real bad on the speed control board, wanting play around some more ran it for about another 5 mins and it was dead. The pack was reading around 26.65v, measured at the charging port. (sure they died out so bad due to the arcing). I parked it and charged it again.

This time it charged for aproximately 5.5 hours and measured 38.24v at the charging port.

I let it sit, 12 hours later came back and measured the pack as 37.21v (Measured each battery individually and all were within .04 of each other)

Drove it for around 1.5 hours up long slow grades a couple of steep hills against some good head winds with both the wife and I on it. (Ooops cleaned contacts to prevent arcing, still an issue but much less and not during this test ride) The voltage reads 35.81

The arcing started again and the pack dropped to 35.22v, so I stopped and charged it last night (according to the charger, elapsed time is 2 hours) Measured the V this morning it is 36.89

Here's where I need help, I know I need to replace the swipper arm contact and the speed control contact and am in the process of getting the parts.
1. What harm if any has been done to the batteries, or do they sound like they are doing OK?
2. The guy I bought it from said they sat without a charge for about 1 month, do they sound like they can be brought back? I feel like cycling is doing that.
3. Everyone talks about cycling to % but what voltage level for the pack does that equate too?
4. Is it 80% of SOC, and is SOC right off the charger or after rest?

Thanks for answering all my stupid questions, just seems these are salvagable for at least the next few months.
3WheelDumbo is offline   Reply With Quote