Old 12-19-2018, 02:10 AM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Top speed and acceleration drops dramatically after few miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty821 View Post
Hello BGW!

I just bought a 2014 EZGO TXT48. The previous owner had upgraded the tires to 23" and lifted it. I think everything else is stock (controller/motor). On fresh charge top speed is about 18mph. It quickly goes down to about 12-13mph after about 1 mile. After about 3 miles it goes under 10mph. Acceleration drops dramatically and becomes almost unusable.

The batteries are 6/8v Trojans. I don't think they previous owner used it much as the tires were brand new (still had the vent spews on them).

After fresh charge, voltage is 51v. Under load, at top speed it drops to 42.7v. After a few miles, I tested again, and stopped was around 50.5v and under load it was at 42.5v.

Any ideas what it could be? I plan to upgrade the controller/solenoid/wires and possibly the motor, but want to make sure the batteries are ok first. I checked all the batteries with a load tester and they all are ok.

Any help would be appreciated! thanks.
The 23" tires are too large for the controller. The controller is overheating from too much current draw, and is cutting back to prevent it from burning out. Too many overheats and it will kill the controller! The factory controller maxes out at 250 Amps, even when reprogrammed for maximum performance. You are going to need a 400 or 500 Amp Alltrax controller in order to use those tires!

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/alltrax-xct-sepex--.html

Otherwise, you will need to go with tires 20.5" diameter or smaller if you intend to use the stock controller. I can reprogram it to deliver more power, but only for smaller tires. By default, it limits to under 200 Amps!

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote