View Single Post
Old 06-10-2019, 07:46 AM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: 4 Link / 3 Link Rear Suspensions

Common Design Mistakes:

1.) Using heim joints on all links. This can make the setup wobbly for on road use. Using a bushing on one end helps to stiffen the links and makes for a better ride, but does sacrifice some articulation.

2.) Non parallel links. This causes the axle to swing in different directions, especially in the 4 link setup. This can cause pinion angle issues and driveline problems.

3.) Too small diameter links. If soft metal or too small diameter/thickness tubing is used for the links, they can bend and cause alignment problems and driveline binding. It is better to over engineer in this department.

4.) Geometry. When building these types of suspension systems, it is best to do your homework. Read as much as you can, talk to people who have done it. This is one of the reasons I started this thread, so we can all learn what the proper way. Get it right the first time and you will be greatly rewarded with a good riding and functioning suspension action.

5.) Take your time. Self explanatory, right?

6.) Welds. Inferior welds can fail leaving you stranded, or worse, cause you to crash and get hurt. If you are not a welder, most of us aren't, do yourself a favor and get a couple books and read up on the type of welding you are doing. Clean metal, beveled edges, tight gaps, correct heat, correct movement of the puddle. These are the basics. Practice on the same thickness material until you get the settings and technique right, then do your final welding.

I'm sure there's more, but these are the big ones that I've made note of in my research. Again, I'm no expert and I am still learning.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote