View Single Post
Old 04-11-2019, 12:30 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 1990 Marathon EZGO 3PG GAS Pours out of Carb!

The chinese carbs quality is very poor. Casting of the carb housing, fitment, jetting consistency, etc. are all very poor. They CAN be made to work pretty well if there's no other option, do some searching on the forum and you'll see some hits. But generally, for every 1 person with a good result from a chinese carb, there's 99 other people that the carb caused more problems than it fixed.

Post an ad in the for sale/wanted section on the forum here, i'm sure someone has a spare OEM carb laying around they can sell you.

As for setting the float, there's a lot of different methods. Some more precise than others using feeler gauges, calipers, etc. In the repair manual, it should provide measurements of float height, and etc. I go by my eyes, and i've never had one cause me problems.

Take the float bowl off and first ALWAYS pull the pin and remove the float. Pull the needle out and make SURE it moves FREELY in it's little home. Make sure there's no dirt or debris in the seat at the bottom, any dirt will make it stick open and it can't stop fuel from entering the carb. Helps to blow some compressed air through there so any dirt that may be in the inlet tube blows out as well. Then put the float back in if all is okay. Make sure to use a fuel filter and new fuel lines. old rubber fuel lines can disintegrate internally and those pieces of gooey rubber make their way into carbs and cause problems.

Turn the carb upside down. First press downward lightly and make sure the little spring loaded pin on the top of the needle is not seized. Your carb is new so it should be fine, but I always check. The float should be perfectly level with the bottom of the housing on the carb. See the picture below, this one is for something else, just an image I found on google, but this one is not adjusted correctly. Ignore whatever measurements are on there, This one angles downward, so it will let more fuel in than it should, so it will run rich or flood.

This one below is adjusted better. You can see how the float is level with the flange. This is what you want to see.

Takes a little practice, but once you've done one or 50 it just comes as second nature. Sorry if i'm leaving something out, I just sorta "do" it and don't pay a lot of attention to the steps/details to "do" it anymore lol
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote