Old 01-17-2019, 12:15 PM   #4
izzybird
Gone Wild

Taylor-Dunn

Default Re: Basic Programmable BMS

W
Quote:
Originally Posted by agpfl View Post
I read your install. Your configuration was even more advanced than what I normally do because you are cutting off the AC side of the charger. You have used relays for interlock and bypass.

I have the BMS cut off power on the DC side of the charger if any cell hits 4.2v, or the pack reaches 58.8. I purchase a new Li-on charger for less than $200 that is programmed to turn off about .5v shy of max voltage. So for a 14cell Leaf pack I have the charger cut off at 58.3. This gives me two different forms of protection from overcharging. My charger is the one that normally stops the charging, but the BMS can shut down charging as well if the charger does not do its job.
I don’t know what charger you’re using, but a lot of these cheaper Chinese chargers can be easily adjusted to different end of charge voltages if you even slightly know what you are doing. I think charging to 4.1v and never dropping below 3.65v will keep a person in a very safe range and keep balancing to a absolute minimum. There are tons of very inexpensive RC gadgets out there that are very useable on leaf modules as well. I’ve read scores of builds from electric motorcycles to the solar dudes using leaf modules and some go all out while others KISS. I’m keeping it simple.
What BMS are you using if you don’t mind me asking?
izzybird is offline   Reply With Quote