View Single Post
Old 10-03-2019, 07:34 AM   #5
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: My New Harley Buggy

Man, that cart is a beauty. That's one of my favorite style of carts of all time and that style happened to be what started it all for me. My father in law has one of those and it sat in his garage for years as he couldn't get it going. As I am a tinkerer by nature, he asked me to monkey with it. A new top end, fuel pump work, etc. later and the thing is still running to this day (knock on wood). I now have ten carts, most of which are vintage, 4 of which are HD / Columbia (which are pretty much the same)..

All common parts to these carts are easily available.....carbs, seals, bearings, reeds, top ends, etc. You will find that a lot of the parts for the HDs are shared with other machines to include EZGo carts. Where things get dicey are the unique HD parts such as cranks and clutches.

The ignition circuits are basically the same between HDs and EZGos. When I converted my carts from points to HEI I actually used an EZGo conversion schematic as a template for the HDs.

You are all over it with regard to troubleshooting. Don't be afraid to take the muffler off altogether and run it to see if the muffler is your issue. Of course it will be loud but it won't hurt anything. Your other thoughts are all spot on.....timing (I hate it), fuel delivery / crank seals, and clutches not opening / closing up right will cause a cart to not rev up. Pretty much the same as your other cart.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote