View Single Post
Old 08-13-2019, 03:35 PM   #1
neckmcd
Not Yet Wild

Default 1972 Golfster 36v Trophy 300 purchase and rebuild

So a couple months ago my buddy and I snagged 3 70’s era Cushman 3 wheeled golf carts. Two were almost identical direct drive electric golf carts. I liked the oddball one as it just had a flat deck instead of seats in its current position. I became the proud owner of a 1972 Cushman Golfster 36v Trophy 300 model 898108-7210. From inspection everything looked to be there, even if it was in rough shape in a few spots. Next step was to at least get 36v to it to see if it had any life. I used 3 car batteries in series just to see if it would move. I know this is not the proper way to do it, just wanted to make sure it moved. Only hooked it up for a second and it lurched forward when I pressed the accelerator. So I decided to go to the step of getting batteries. Through a little horse trading I got rid of an older road bike towards 6 Deka Pro-master GC15 6v batteries with 120min 75amp rating. I made 1/0 gauge connections for the batteries.

Now is where I start loosing my knowledge of golf carts, but I’m sure I’ll pick it up easily. From what I have found I do not have a system with a circuit breaker, which I would like to add sometime. I am currently trying to hard wire this without a key as I don’t have one, but also plan to add. So that leaves me with a wire that came from the speed controller to the key, I’m sure I will have to complete a circuit with this. Does this wire just go to a ground?

I also have a wire from the right side front of the solenoid that needs to be hooked up. From what I’m reading it may have gone to a brake switch buzzer, which I cannot find if I have one.

I have a button for a horn and a switch for lights but I have none of that hooked up.

My goal is to get this thing to roll first. I’m sure I will have questions as I go through this. I can’t post pics yet as I am a newb, but as soon as my first week is up I will get pictures of progress. My first thought is getting a 36v solenoid to replace the original as it is old and for the price of it I don’t want that hanging me up. Any thoughts or input on this would be great.
neckmcd is offline   Reply With Quote