View Single Post
Old 09-20-2017, 05:09 PM   #8
David Maner
Morel Man

Club Car

Default Re: Clone Oil filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
The little pumps posted are for either oiling or return oil for a turbo of a small engine with no pressure system or the turbo is lower then the return port. The pumps vary but pump around 2.5-3.5 gallons a minute. Require no priming and 12 vdc @ 6 amps. They don't pull 6 amps unless you're pumping against an restriction. Check and make sure you get one that's constant duty, they cost a little more. I would set it up to pump after it gets hot for best results.
And the temperature click switches like a lot of clothes dryers etc have on them to turn the pump on and off. You can get them at any temperature you want. In fact I have one that is adjustable that I put on my homemade welder I made from a 100 amp alternator and 8 hp B&S engine years ago. On it I put it on to turn off the current to the rotor in case the alternator got too hot. Never had a problem with that alternator as my little welder is 100 Percent duty cycle. Complete with automatic idle. Sweet little welder even though I no longer use it and have it mostly as a conversation piece. It got me one hell of an electricians/R&D job back years ago when a gentleman seen it and asked me if I made this welder and I said yes. He said I need you on my team and hired me on the spot. I did a lot of R&D for this company.

stock alternator except for the diodes. I removed the stock ones and mounted 6 20 amp diodes, 3 for the positive and three for the negative on separate heat sinks with the alternator fan blowing air across the heat sinks.

I had to over run the alternator to get welding voltage. I have it set up turning at 7200 rpms and the welding voltage is 22 V. takes a steady hand to get the arc started but welds beautifully.
I connected an industrial switch so I can change the alternator from a Y to a delta connection for High and Low. Use the throttle of the engine for fine tuning. Mostly though used the delta and 3600 rpm engine speed for 90 percent of my welding. built several trailers with that welder. All still in use today 40 years later without a problem with weld breaking.

Sorry I got off on a tangent there but I just relived a moment in my life all those years ago.

Oh and those clik switch contacts are rated at 10 amp
David Maner is offline   Reply With Quote