View Single Post
Old 09-20-2017, 07:38 AM   #5
David Maner
Morel Man

Club Car

Default Re: Clone Oil filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
Its a great idea, especially if you put a lot of hours on it or run in high temps. You could also get a larger filter and hold more oil, you can add a cooler they are pretty cheap. While my mower does have an oil pump it also has remote filter and a cooler, its a sweet setup. That one even uses hydraulic hoses to connect it all. You can get little power steering coolers cheap, they are about what they use on lawn engines with oil coolers.

Almost makes me think of the cooler guys here use on sleds for grass drags. They put brass couplings on the coolant hoses (larger version of air hose couplings). Then they fill a cooler with ice with a radiator in the bottom, screw a 12v trailer water pump on top, attach 12v power and circulate the coolant a few minutes to cool off the motor for the next pass. Unhook and you are ready. You could do the same thing with 5qt (or however much) of oil and an filter, every 10 hours of riding just suck all the oil out and filter it and circulate new back in. Should last quite a while before you replace all the oil. You would have to change that a little since the oil is not a closed system.

I'm more inclined to want this setup for the oil filter as for a cooler
My oil temperatures will get up to 220 if I'm running hard and fast for an hour or so. Mostly I'm in the woods traveling at 8 to 10 mph, much of the time 4 to 5 mph and at those speeds the oil temp will climb up to the 185 to 195 range. This after a good hour or so of running and several big azz hills to climb.
Today is the last day of my 90 day warranty. Which if I understand it correctly is voided anyway due to the cooling tin I added to the engine from the get go. In an open go-cart I can see maybe running one of these engines without the cooling tin but in a mostly closed up golf cart engine bay without the open flow of air across the fins I question whether the engine will not be overheating, hence my adding the cooling tin. Back through the years I've helped friends with their air cooled engines that they've removed and left off some of the cooling tin for whatever reason then they have problems with their engines due to high temps. Only air cooled engines I've seen without an enclosed fan force feeding air over the cooling fins is motorcycle engines but they have longer fins plus they're out in the open where they get good air flow without being force fed air. I will err on the side of caution when it comes to cooling whether air or water cooled.

I want the oil to warm up enough to boil off the condensation.
David Maner is offline   Reply With Quote