View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #1
Furyous
Flat Out Hooked on Carts

Mixed Breed

Default The official Cougar Scooter build thread

Now that I have finally "begun" the restoration of my unique, stretched, lifted, limo style, Mercedes bodied Melex 512 of an unknown year, I decided to start a thread. Those build threads I have read of others' rides have inspired me to really get moving and I have learned a ton.

I picked this up on Craigslist for $300. The body is rough, the frame was rusty (all except for the main frame rails), and it had languished outside of a trailer park in Florida for who knows how many years. The story was that there was a Saudi prince that had a house in Boca Raton, and he gave the cart to a shop to have it completely custom made for him. This is where the stretching, lifting, and Mercedes body came from. Apparently the prince went back to Saudi and never paid for the work, so the guy that did the work on it took it to his trailer and parked it in the yard, expecting to finish it one day.

They recently legalized golf carts in my town, and a few of my friends went the new route by ordering custom golf carts brand new. One friend spent over $10k for his cart! My challenge was to fix up an older cart and turn it into something cooler looking and better performing for less than $2500. The Craigslist search had three requirements- it had to be less than $500, seat my wife and three kids comfortably, and be unlike any other cart on the street. Mission accomplished.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Furyous is offline   Reply With Quote