View Single Post
Old 08-20-2019, 08:46 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Precedent Wrecker (Tow truck conversion)

I’ve had the same idea for a while and unfortunately a cart frame is just not made to handle another entire cart (~950lbs) sitting on top of it. The best thing would just be a wheel lift arm. Something that will slide under and flip closed around the front wheels. Then use a small winch to raise it. My other idea was to buy a snow plow mount system like for a pick-up truck and use the plow hydraulic lift as the lifting device, and build a small up out frame to lift under the wheels. Have a set of small tow dollies for the “rear facing” wheels.
If you can lift it by the front wheels you can drag it anywhere you want assuming you put it in tow mode and disconnect the battery pack negative. But you’ll also have to make sure your tow vehicle doesn’t exceed the safe speed of the motor in the cart being towed. Towing a cart by lifting its rear wheels could be easier if you can come up with a way to lock the steering.

Personally I would pick up an older series drive DS or longer wheelbase Carryall to modify into a tow vehicle. The frames are stronger on the carryall models and they have a few more places to make attaching mounts and such a little easier. The aluminum sides on the back of the carryall models aren’t meant for any structural support (they’re not attached as well as you might think), but they make conventient places to mount dollies, straps, tools/toolboxes, etc. They also have tougher suspension systems and the carryall’s especially are typically designed to have about a 1500lb weight capacity. I think the max for a precedent is something like 750.

Another major thing to consider is brakes. With another cart behind you, stopping will be an issue. A lot of carryalls come with 4 wheel brakes. I’m not even sure if you can get 4 wheel brakes for a Precedent.

Next would be drive system upgrade. No matter what you use, if it’s electric, you’ll want a high amp controller and a high torque motor. And depending how far you need it to go, you may need a larger battery pack. The stock stuff on any electric cart will feel horribly underpowered if you’re trying to pull anything, especially if you need to go up any sort of hill. A gas cart will handle pulling another cart no problem with only a few minor clutch upgrades and a heavy duty belt.

If cost is not an issue, an AC motor upgrade and some extra batteries will make one heck of a tow cart capable of over 30mph. And if you can contain yourself, you’ll still have a range of over 50 miles.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote