View Single Post
Old 08-20-2019, 06:13 PM   #10
alchemy
Gone Wild

Default Re: Another battery question....

Quote:
Originally Posted by anziosaint View Post
Ok, I just sleeved the top prong of that rod and to be honest it still seems to take about 2 inches to get the “click” in the MCOR. I just had someone show up at the house but I am going to go and do a drive test. Batteries are holding a resting voltage of 51.3v after 12 hours. We will see how it does. I will also try to get individual load readings.
51.3 would be good for me but that depends on how much water is in them or the electrolyte level. Mine was just 51.6 while within 1/4" of the plates and now stable at 51.0 after adding water to the level indicator (the ridge at the base of the inlet cylinder). People are not recommending that full now. If you filled them lower I don't know how you get them even unless you have a float gauge or plastic measuring device. They will vary in voltage by how much electrolyte is in each one (how dilute they are).
That reading was also after "mixing"- taking it down to 50% SOC then charging and allowing to stabilize which I found is necessary to do once after adding water. Usually I charge them at 80% SOC. I always wash mine down softly with a hose especially after a heavy charge like that. It just rose to a stable .4V more doing that 50% SOC thing. I just did that yesterday. Those batteries are almost 7 years old from my other cart plus two new ones (Because my other cart was 36V). I'm guessing I probably drove it at least 15 miles over 4 days before it got to 50% SOC. As for amps, you might see a couple deflect too much under load but in my case they do that sometimes and usually come back with my techniques. Why, is speculative but as I said before, more water dissolves more sulfate and heavy charging helps knock it off.
For the forum in general there is a scientific journal that shows solubility of lead sulfate in solutions of varying sulfuric concentrations at various temperatures. https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ja01327a019

The original set of trojan t-145's I just got in my new used club car are now very stable at 38.2V in my 36V cart. I'll have to see how long they run but it already climbs hills definitely not like "bad batteries" and the amps has improved greatly as well. They were originally .26V to 2V, past the plates, and had sat for 6 months and in the winter with the battery light on and the cases bulging. The first charge, after adding water, in pairs for 12V using a car charger, got them to like 6.1-6.2V each and then eventually to 6.37 average by the technique I mentioned. I've done this many times. It depends on how much time you have, how much it's worth messing with, etc, etc. My time is worth a lot more than messing with batteries but in my case it just drives me crazy knowing I could get them back up rather than trashing them

sorry about all the edits, just trying to make it easier to read
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote