View Single Post
Old 08-28-2019, 03:53 PM   #10
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: 2019 trail camera pics

Why shoot a deer?
Well, that can partly be a matter of perspective. It can also party be a matter of that some people enjoy the taste of the meat. Contrary to what some people may believe, the majority of hunting is not done for sheer sport. Quite a lot of people depend on meat from hunting to help sustain their families during certain seasons. Especially people who do labor jobs where the work may be seasonally dependent.

The area I live in is largely lower income, blue collar population. Deer are quite prevalent here, but many of the people in this area do hunt and as mentioned above, many of them do rely on meat harvested from hunting. Go about two hours north of here into the Northern VA area, and there is a much larger human population, but many fewer hunters, and many of the municipalities do not allow hunting of any kind. This means there are high populations of deer that feed on what they can eat in peoples yards. Yet they still starve due to gross over-population. The numbers of deer laying dead on the side of roads there is ridiculous, and what little meat may be on those deer essentially goes to rot in the ditch because no-one eats them. State and county expenses are in the millions $$ to pay crews just to drive around all day and collect deer and animal carcasses. There are limited population control hunters who are hired to thin out herds in some areas, but they can only do so much, and hunting is only allowed in very small areas.

Is it more of a crime to allow them to starve, be run over by cars, and then tossed in a pit and buried?
Or to be allowed to feed and grow naturally and harvested for consumption by people who will use the meat for survival?

Not trying to jump on anyone's case, but hoping to seed/grow a better understanding of the subject.

Plus we're off-topic...
But back on topic, I just got a new camera I need to set up. There's a few coyotes that I'd like to have a run at this fall. And a couple really nice sized bucks that I saw a few weeks ago that I'd like to get a closer look at. And Turkey season is coming up and I know there's some big toms running around out here too.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote