View Single Post
Old 09-26-2014, 03:33 PM   #5
konakid
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: Do I Have A Brake Problem?

Thanks for the feedback guys. My first cart purchase turned out to be a disaster - it's in the graveyard now after a year. And where I live the selection for new and used carts is slim and expensive (Big Island, Hawaii).

But I had to have a cart, so I bought this one for me to use for the year or more it may take me to find a good deal - and get one that I won't mind putting some money into with what I am learning here. (Scottyb, I did see the good reviews on your disk brake kit - when I get my "keeper cart" that sounds like the plan since I live on the side of this volcano - either always up hill, or down, no in-between)

But, back to the brakes. As to the adjustments. To me it almost feels like the front brakes are not doing any of the work. That is why I have to push so hard. Believe it or not, I have no level asphalt within miles of my place (and none on my property), so that test/adjustment is problematic, but doable.

As mentioned, I can get the back brakes to lock up on my "hard packed" driveway - but it almost feels like the old days as a kid when I would lock up the back brake on my bike and make a long skid to impress the girls. :) Is that adjustment thing still the path to take first? Might it help the front brakes if what I am feeling is the case? I am going to guess that I will have to press super hard to lock anything up on pavement. BTW - these are 18" wheels.

Question(s) - is it possible the regen braking is just turned off? Is there an off and on with this controller. And is it normal for a cart to just "free wheel" when going downhill with no resistance whatsoever? It just wants to take off. When ever I am on even the slightest downhill, I have to lean on the brakes. I can't imagine them lasting long at all where I live.
konakid is offline   Reply With Quote