View Single Post
Old 05-25-2008, 10:51 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: g16 smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
Yes , any one can with good results. The only problem would be if the cylinder was damaged (deep scratchs or worn so far that the rings would not have the end gap minimum tolerances) the off to a machine shop for over boring. Now I've done this for years, but just friday (my mechanic and I) pulled a G16 engine, disassembled, inspected,honed,reringed,valve job,reassembled and reinstalled the engine in just over an hour. It took 20 minutes to burn the oil out of the muffler ! Anyone interested in rebuilding can do it. I agree with Tom.....They are tough engines. Later Dave
I would like to attempt this on a fe290 that runs and smokes. How can the I tell if the cylinder is too worn for standard rings or would you say use "this size over" ring set if it smoked. Or should I depend on a machine shop to do the honing/reboring and have them tell me? ( 100 Qs ) What is involved in a simple valve job? New seats, guides, and valves?
I would really like to do this! Maybe we should start another thread as I am hyjacking this one. Thanks for any help, Dave.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote