View Single Post
Old 05-24-2008, 12:01 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: g16 smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by emarch42 View Post
ok..i am new ..and i guess i was on someone else thread ...sorry ..ok . i have a 1997 g16 gas and it is smoking... i tryed to run it for a few hours wide open, it does not really smoke wide open, but if i pump the pedal, it smoke real good, anyone out there know what i should do??? is it my rings??? sound like head work??? i don`t want to rebuild the whole thing..the cart runs real good.... just smokes...:help :
Lots of variables here. First, is the oil level high ? Does the oil smell like gas ? Is there oil in the air box ? If this is the case, dirt got into the carb, stuck the float and the gas had no wher to go but into the oil. When the oil level raises it gets into the air box,the carb, the cylinder and eventually into the muffler. If this is the case, take the carb apart, clean it, clean the airbox, change the fuel filter,change the oil (1 qt only) and the spark plug (ngk-bpr2es) and stick the car in nuetral and run the car for 10 minutes at a meduim rpm, turn it off and let it cool down, run again ect. This will burn the oil out of the muffler eventualy. If all of this is not the case...Take a compression reading (at wide open throttle) you should read 160 min to 175 lbs. Low would mean bad rings or valve stem seals/valve seating problem. This will not tell you if your oil rings are shot. Reringing is not all that difficult, about all the special tools you'd need is a primary clutch puller, a hone and a torque wrench and of course the parts. Good luck and keep us posted. Later Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote