View Single Post
Old 10-17-2019, 09:33 AM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Can't decide what to build

I also prefer the DS. With nearly a 30 year run on the model, there's more parts than you could ever shake a stick at. And you could buy cheap, strip to nothing and build a SERIOUS cart, exactly the way you want it. And you could get a 1993 DS and once finished and built, nobody would know any different between a 1985 or a 2014 model year. And if you replace/rebuild all the suspension, motor/electronics/engine/whatever powerplant/drivetrain, you'll end up with basically a brand new golf cart, on a 1993 frame for a few thousand bucks that will easily outperform and look better than anything rolling out of a dealership brand new that cost 3x the price you have into it. Plus, if something goes wrong with it, since you built it, you'll be familiar with every nuance of the cart so troubleshooting becomes less of a "science project" and more of a "quick repair" type of thing.

Plus, they're just comfortable rides for daily use or just cruising. I'd say the DS has the "cadillac ride" of the golf cart world. Suspension bushings are worth checking out, but they're cheap and easy to replace so definitely not a show stopper if they're gone. they usually are...

Gas vs. electric you're going to have a ton of opinions. That's all they are. Both gas and electric have their advantages and disadvantages. I've had both, I've built both. My personal preference is gas because it's what fits my situation; electric is really inconvenient for me personally. But... My first advice would be to check with your country club since you said you live at one. Many country clubs and camp grounds don't allow gas carts, which would instantly make that gas vs. electric decision for you.

I've had both gas and electric carts that cruise comfortably at ~25mph. Again, my personal opinion, but anything much more than that and it starts to get scary and dangerous. Steering, suspension, alignment, BRAKES, etc. all have to be PERFECT for any more speed than that or you could very quickly and easily lose control and have a bad ending.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote