View Single Post
Old 07-24-2010, 10:03 AM   #1
racerecks
Not Yet Wild

Default 2 Stroke Carb setup and BV21 vs BV18

Looking for help getting my 1989 2 Stroke running right. Since I bought my cart cheap and didn't know how it had been treated, I did a complete top and bottom end rebuild.

Since the rebuild, however, I'm having problems that I think are probably carburetor related. It lacks power after warming up. Since it starts quite easily without the choke, i suspect it's running rich. I have had some experience setting mixtures on single cylinder engines, but never without a factory starting point for each adjustment.

Can anyone give me reccomendations on where to start with the mixture screw(s), and maybe a little advice on identifying lean or rich operation? All of my experience is on lawnmowers where you can set the mixture at full speed on a bench, not rolling down the road.

Also, since the rebuild kits seem to be kind of expensive, I was looking for new carbs and found a new BV21 for $123 (larger than the original BV1. It is reportedly for the utility version of my cart and is supposed to fit. Does anyone have experience with switching to this carb? Will I gain any performance from it?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tim
1989 EZGO 2 Stroke
racerecks is offline   Reply With Quote