View Single Post
Old 08-02-2019, 11:12 AM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: DS excessive oil consumption

The cooling shroud may be a bit tricky to remove in the cart, but since it is a push rod motor, and not an overhead cam with a timing belt/chain, yes you can remove the head with the motor still installed.

However,

I would pull the motor out and get it on a workbench where it's a lot easier to work on. There's 4 bolts on the bottom where the motor mounts to the skid plate (there's nuts on the top side) and 2 nuts in the rear where the motor mounts to the transmission/rear end. There's 6 in the rear total, 3 up on each side. only remove the 1 nut in the middle on either side. the 4 in the corners can stay.

Disconnect the exhaust and remove the muffler. Pull the carb off and set it on the frame in the front so you don't have to disconnect any fuel lines. Remove 2 bolts and the tensioner bolt, you can rest the starter/generator on top of the transmission/rear end. 2 wires and a cable and you can pull the engine out. I can pull the motor out in about 20-30 minutes. It's not hard, and will save you a LOT of trouble fighting with trying to mess with it in the cart. With the fan shrouds in particular.

Given the sheer amount of oil this thing is consuming, with no smoke, I would really recommend pulling the motor and going through it carefully. Sometimes having the engine out and on a workbench will increase visibility to issues you may not have seen while it was in the cart due to angles/shadows/etc. But that's just my .02
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote