View Single Post
Old 05-30-2008, 12:49 PM   #1
artrockets
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 1981 2cyl - Full Rebuild - Questions...

Hiya,

This website rules, it has helped me so much. Thank you all. I still have some questions I can't find answers to...

I have an 82' that works and is awesome.. I just received an 81' whose engine is rusted solid inside. As I removed the engine from the cart I could hear water splashing around inside... I removed the cylinder, the cam/bearings are rusted solid. I swear you'd think they were recovered from the Titanic.

This weekend I plan to pull the rusty cam out and clean up the engine case. I got a new cam/piston/cylinder.. the full rebuild kit you see for sale. In the past I have pulled the engine in my 82' to do some clutch work but have never opened the engine(I'v removed/cleaned the carb). I am confident I can put this other engine back together the way it was, but I am worried I am gonna miss some some detail or something I didn't know about. "You gotta do this first..." kinda thing... I have no manual. I have mb523's pictures of his top end rebuild, probably all the forum posts regarding my kind of cart and maybe that's about it.. Here are the questions I can think of...

1.When I put the engine back together, what do I grease the cam/bearings with? Do I pack the bearings with grease or 2-stroke oil or what?

2.Is there a trick to putting rings on a piston? is it easy or hard? is there a particular way/direction they go on? Is it easy to then cram it into the cylinder once they are on? Do I lube all this stuff with 2-stroke oil or what?

3.Is there any kind of engine timing I need to worry/be aware of? or is that controlled by those wires that come out of the engine and I don't really have to worry about it?

4.Is there any trick to pulling the engine block apart? it's seems harder than I thought and I don't want to crack anything..

5.Was I an idiot for buying the rebuild kit for this hunk of junk?

6.What have I missed?

If you have the time I would appreciate any response/advice to my questions and anything else you might know. I think I just barely know what I am doing, so anything will probably help me. I plan to take lots of pics and if successful I should be able to make a pretty comprehensive 'How To' to post here for the next guy..

artrockets is offline   Reply With Quote