View Single Post
Old 05-29-2018, 10:54 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: G29 body kit or paint original?

Paint is cheap. I'd paint it. If you don't like how the paint turns out, then buy a body kit. With proper prep a rattlecan job can look very nice. Just make sure it is CLEAN. Clean with pressure washer and soap, scrub it good. Then use denatured alcohol and make sure all the lint is gone. Spray it good with promoter (instead of primer), let that do its thing for 15 min (it basically lightly "etches" the plastic so the paint bonds well). For painting fiberglass/metal/etc primer is best. For plastic you will get the best adhesion with promoter, otherwise it will flake off as the plastic flexes. Then, Spray with your color of choice. I do a light coat, and then 2 heavier coats. Let it sit for an hour to cure. Then hit it with a few coats of clearcoat. All in, you might be out $30-40 to paint it. Promoter is about $5/can. 1-2 cans should be plenty. Then about 4 cans of the color of your choice (about $5 each). And 2-3 cans of clearcoat ($3 each) should be all you need. After painting i wouldn't touch it for about 24 hours. The paint/clear/etc is dry to the touch in less than an hour, but soft for several hours until it fully cures. After about 24 hours you're good to go. For most people, that's plenty good. If you're a perfectionist, you can wet sand and buff for a showroom shine. You'll never be able to tell it was done with a rattlecan.

Best case, you've got a new looking cart and the color of your choice. Worst case, it doesn't turn out as you had hoped and you get the body kit anyway. And you can minimize the amount of masking/taping/prep necessary if you take the body off the cart and put it onto sawhorses.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote