View Single Post
Old 06-28-2018, 10:31 AM   #10
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: Golf Cart Parts substitute

1980's and early 1990's Trucksters with OMC engines (may also apply to other years and models)

Brake System -

Wheel Brake cylinders of 1980's vintage Cushman Trucksters can be rebuilt using rebuilding kits for 1970's Ford F-100 pickup trucks. The Cushman cylinders are identical to the Ford cylinders except for an external bump on the Ford casting that can be ground off without affecting it's use. If Cushman replacement cylinders cannot be located, this is the best alternative.

The master cylinder used in these Trucksters seems to be one that was used in some Forklifts, as I found an identical new replacement for my 1987 Truckster on the shelf at my local forklift repair shop for less than 1/2 of the Ebay price. Try your local forklift dealer if you are looking for one.

The brake system in Trucksters use DOT3 BRAKE FLUID, which is alcohol based. Since the master cylinder of Trucksters is vented to atmosphere, over time the moisture in the air, exchanged through this vent due to atmospheric pressure changes, mixes with the alcohol in the brake fluid. When sufficient moisture has entered the system the brake system will begin rusting from the inside out. I tried to locate a suitable non-vented more modern master cylinder that could be installed without extensive modification but could not locate anything suitable. Other brake fluids are now available, but are incompatible with the DOT3 brake fluid and may not be compatible with the rubber parts used in the Cushman Truckster brake systems either. So I've resigned myself to replacing the brake fluid in my Truckster every two years in order to minimize the brake system rusting problem.

The flexible brake line between the chassis and the front axle of my 1987 Truckster was identical to a late 1980's Dodge B-100 Van. If you need one of these compare your's to one for this model at your local auto parts store.

Fuel Pump - OMC motors -

The fuel pumps that were used on OMC engines are no longer manufactured. NOS has been sitting on the shelf for at least 15 years, with the rubber parts of them deteriorating from just sitting on the shelf, so they will likely fail quickly in use. A better and cheaper alternative is to install an automotive electric fuel pump. It only requires a connection to the power wire that turns on and off via the key switch ( power wire connection to the first coil is easiest to find ) and a wire to the nearest frame connection (ground). Mount it near the fuel tank and roughly level with the tank outlet for best results. A fuel line filter between the tank and pump is important. You no longer need the bypass filter and return line to the tank. Just connect the fuel pump direct to the carburetor inlet. These pumps are regulated for correct fuel pressure. Either remove the mechanical fuel pump and replace it with a metal cover and gasket or just leave the mechanical pump to block the hole. It's important to prevent air, dirt, and water from entering the crankcase through this hole.

Keihin Carburetors have tiny inlet filters that are NLA (No Longer Available)and they go bad. Just remove the old one from the carburetor inlet fitting and discard it. The fuel filter between the tank and fuel pump is all you need anyway.

Charley
CharleyL is offline   Reply With Quote