View Single Post
Old 11-12-2014, 08:36 AM   #2
73eldo
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

Default Re: buying 1986 d3 par car

For some reason that era manual is harder to find than the earlier one, perhaps because that manual was written by Columbia and they are still in business?

I have dealt with vintage and they seem like good people.

First thing I would do is go through the carb and fuel pump to see if that helps the hill climbing issue. The fuel pumps are external and kinda universal so make sure you properly id your fuel pump and get the correct repair kit for it. You may no longer have the original one on there. They were used on lots of small engines so there are several brands and models possible. Carb is a little more consistent but still could not be original so look for numbers and pictures to make sure you are getting the correct rebuild kits.

If you got a good carb and fuel pump and it still needs choking try adjusting the carb, if the adjustment does help then its likely crank seals that are the issue. They are not that expensive but the engine has to come completely apart to change them.

With issues it can be kinda hard to price a cart like that. Does it need anything body wise? Seats good? Fiberglass good? Tires good? Does it have a top or any value added stuff like that? 5-10 years ago you could find pretty nice good running carts for $500 all day long. A cart like what you describe may be more like $300 if it looked nice. I have not actually bought a cart in years and don't watch the ads that close but it seems like the value (or at least asking prices) have gone up a bit. I see a lot of decent looking original ish carts asking more like $750-1000 these days. Not sure they are selling at that but that seems to be a common asking price.
73eldo is offline   Reply With Quote