View Single Post
Old 10-21-2015, 09:47 PM   #391
dlwilson
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Anyone get their cart Florida Street Legal?

I got mine registered today, in Palm Beach county. It wasn't too bad a process.

I did all the conversion myself. The cart came with horn, headlights, taillights and brake lights. I added turn signals, seat belts, reflectors, the triangle, windshield, side mirrors, license plate bracket, and wiper. The worst part was replacing a perfectly good windshield with a $160 one that had the DOT engraving on it. If you have access to a CNC router or laser engraver I suggest doing it yourself. I also put on a back seat so I could get the cart titled as a 4P rather than a 2P.

Most of the parts came from Amazon vendors, so I printed out the order pages. The DMV accepted all of them. I had to pay sales tax on any receipt that didn't show tax collected, so you might want to edit any receipt you have.

I also had to trailer the cart out to a recycling yard and get a weight slip for it.

Once I got the cart ready I called the DMV and they gave me an appointment three weeks out. They also emailed me all of the forms, which I filled out as best I could.

On the big day I trailered the cart to DMV, where they first collected the $40 inspection fee. Then the nice lady looked the cart over, checked the turn signals and horn, checked the windshield for DOT markings, and noted the wiper, seatbelts, reflector, and triangle. She was pretty thorough.

Then we went inside and did the paperwork. I got all the forms wrong, so she gave me blank ones and told me how she wanted them filled out. While I filled out the forms she went out and put the VIN sticker on the steering column. When I got the paperwork right she sealed it all in the manila envelope I was directed to bring, using special DMW tape.

That was yesterday. Today I got insurance (about $450/year) and went to the tax collector's office with my sealed envelope. I didn't have a plate to use, so it was $200 for the plate, and $225 for fees, registration, and the sales tax I hadn't already paid. It took about another hour, and I left the office with a tag and registration.

So I spent the evening riding around in the cart with friends. I'm looking forward to the holiday season -- Halloween parade, Veteran's Day parade, Christmas parade, St. Paddy's Day, and just general riding around.
dlwilson is offline   Reply With Quote