View Single Post
Old 12-08-2022, 07:23 AM   #25
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: So..Who's selling a good BMS system for a 48V Lithium Ion Leaf pack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
What they are saying is correct, if you’re able to monitor the CAN bus you’ll be able to see if the BMS is giving the charger correct messages.

Your battery pack can tolerate a maximum charge voltage of 58.8v, so let it go and see what it gets to. Monitor it closely though. I set mine to 57.4v (4.1v per cell) and Volt_Ampare has his set to 57v (4.07v per cell).
Ok....but how does one "Monitor" the Can bus message?

I had the BMS charge set to 57V. I can only set the "pack charge" in round voltage numbers....ie: 56V, 57V....I cannot set the pack charge to say...57.4V

When I had the pack V set to 57V, the charger (from day one) would always charge the pack to 57.3V (which comes out to 4.093VPC). Then I noticed during a charge session that the charge was up to 57.5V.

I then changed the pack charge to 56V (which it's at now) and the touch screen went "wonky" and I could no longer change the charger voltage settings....or any BMS settings for that matter.

Now I'm beginning to think it's not just a monitor "thing" but perhaps the BMS has gone bad.

Well...the BMS still provides me with (via using the touch screen to switch to different information screens) cell data and I've double checked what the BMS says with my MM and it agrees. So, I do have confidence that the BMS is keeping the pack "safe", balancing the cells, and monitoring the voltage properly.

Well...my $12 touch screen has arrived in the USA...I suspect another week to get here...then I'll mail it all up to my Son in Michigan for the solder work....then back to me....then the "test" to see if that was the problem.

Sorry....a lot of rambling
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote