View Single Post
Old 09-20-2015, 08:21 AM   #9
rayhaque
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 72v motor in a 60v system? Keyway VS. Spline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwayaustx View Post
A 48v torque motor would work perfect in a 60v cart. I'd Call D&D.
I was Googling around trying to find info on running a 48v controller and motor with 60v and I drove myself back to this post. I completely forgot I had asked this question here!

I am down to the wire and I am ready to buy my kit. But I have to make the choice of 48v or 72v. And I am getting conflicting information from the community (I have asked around on DIYelectriccar and the GoldenMotor forums, and here!!).

Some say that so long as the controller is rated for the volts I supply, I should be fine. According to the specs on the Golden Motor VEC 300 controller, the 48v controller will accept up to 96v. Check!

The question seems to be - can I have the controller feed 48v to the motor? This seems to be where I run into controversy. And the question is does the controller switch power or does it regulate the power?.

I can't imagine that the controller regulates power. Stepping 60v DC down to 48V DC at 300 amps would require one hell of a transformer. Then again, we are looking at the *flow* at this point. If my motor is not drawing a flow out of bounds with the controller, this wouldn't be a problem, correct?

I have also been told I should buy a 72v rated controller and motor for my 60v system. But with the little I know about power, I would think that this would result in lower RPM's and lost speed. And since speed was my main objective here ...

I am curious to see what you hackers have to say about it. All I can find on this subject is e-Bike enthusiasts who are working with 36v and 48v packs and motors. Not very helpful.
rayhaque is offline   Reply With Quote