View Single Post
Old 08-12-2015, 11:11 AM   #1
rayhaque
Not Yet Wild

Default 72v motor in a 60v system? Keyway VS. Spline?

I *attempted* to replace my controller a few weeks back. It didn't go well. My goal was to lift the speed limit imposed on my current controller, which is an unbranded, undocumented Chinese made 'thing'.

Now I am looking at replacing the motor and controller together, but without having to start over with the rest of the system. My vehicle is presently a 60V system (yes, you read that right, it's a five battery setup). I was looking at "Golden Motors" and they had some reasonably priced 48v and 72v motors. The salesperson was pushing me to buy a 48v but when I reminded her that it's 60v, then she switched me to 72v. But she had no technical knowledge and basically told me "it's your problem to make it work". Fair enough?

But what would the result be of running a motor built for 72v at 60v? Would the controller be able to make sense of that setup? I want to pair this is a powerful motor to help get me up and down hills a little easier (and across flat land faster). I presently have a 2.8Kw and I would like to step up to a 5Kw or a 7.5Kw.

Another question - my present motor attaches directly to the drive train with a 19-spline connection. All of the motors that I have looked at beyond 3Kw use a keyway instead of a spline. I suppose this is because with a higher torque motor, you would want the drive to be chain driven instead of "direct drive"? I am guessing that I would not want to attach an adapter?

For that matter, I could buy an all new axle/motor assembly and bolt it on. The current axle is attached to the frame with large "u" bolts. But the goal here is to get some more torque and speed without breaking the bank.

Any comments or even *opinions* would be appreciated!!
rayhaque is offline   Reply With Quote