Thread: fuel problem
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 10:45 PM   #8
Glacier Girl
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: fuel problem

Start with the basics. I know but I gotta ask it, is there gas in the tank?
Fuel hose connected to the tank,pump,carb?
Fuel filter not plugged up?
Fuel getting to the carb?

Let's see what else? Might look for a fuel cut off valve/solenoid, might be dead or stuck in off position. Also you may need to check for proper voltage going to it.

I guess you could then go to the substitution method, if you don't get a more educated answer, as you stated it runs for a bit if you add gas to the plug.

Try eliminating parts of the fuel system by using a small squeeze bottle of gas( with a fire extinguisher close by and the cart outside) and hose to the carb. If it fires up and runs, you know the carb's good, and your problem is further back in the system.

Keep working back till you find the suspect problem. And then look a little deeper inside that, like if it appears to be the fuel pump. An electric pump could fail due to no power to it, which may or not involve a couple of switches involved in it's operation. It could be plugged up with old fuel, or just burnt out.

Vacuum diaphragm pumps can go south from bad fuel, cracked diaphragm inside, cracked vac line, and so on.

Mechanical pumps well same old fuel, damaged diaphragm, broken pump lever, or an internal engine problem.

Getting pretty involved I know, but sometimes it's what you gotta do.

Also I'd take a look at the tech section here, as the service manuals are viewable, they could have a step by step diagnosis for just your problem, that may save you a lot of time.
Glacier Girl is offline   Reply With Quote