View Single Post
Old 10-25-2019, 09:18 AM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Who makes the best / most affordable conversion swap kit out there ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondohead View Post
that is a good post sho
Sometimes I do good

The cheapest way to get your cart going is usually to find a 420 on sale, they used to be $300 or less not sure today. The 420 is most popular so price/power is often the best (some use the 440 too), you need at least the stock 10-12hp and those are around 15hp. The extra size helps torque to get a heavy cart moving especially if you have larger tires. Then you either buy a mount and save time or make one. Watch what airbox they have for some carts like Yamaha it can end up hitting the shock in back. I got the hurricane style (filter over the carb) you can rig that up with an elbow and pipe the box elsewhere. Mine is a lifan from home depot online. You can soup these things up the vegas 460 is basically that with HD block and a great deal if you want that. But a 420 can run virtually like stock and use stock clutches just more power. It can be a chore to get them quiet. You need to keep the stock gen in there as most clones don't charge much unless you buy the more expensive one with 18A charge or add a small alternator. You will have to jet the carb to get it running right usually or get the adjustable jet. Vegas has a lot of stuff for this and usually great pricing. I made my mounts just saying a bought one is much easier and faster, my mount is posted on here. 2012, wow my cart is getting old lol. This is the second one I put in and got a little fancier with it, had a header made, eventually I modded the engine a lot it has a cam and rod now and hit 42 mph gps. Still trying to make a cable mount to put a different carb on it right now a 30mm slider, it had a 32mm CV I had some issues with. The first cart is still stock carol stream 420 and still runs great.

My clone swap
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote