View Single Post
Old 10-23-2019, 11:52 PM   #8
Bondohead
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Who makes the best / most affordable conversion swap kit out there ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
Depends on what work you want to do and what budget you have. I put put a $300 clone 420 in, made the mount used adapter on the clutch, got a yard muffler and airbox, had about 400 cash in it but it took a while to do. You can buy a the mount from Vegas and cut a lot of time and welding. You can move up to the 460 its a lot faster. You can get the other one its larger and more torque. You can go to the HF twin its not that expensive, really the install is not much different at all other than exhaust and details. The vanguard is great engine and more expensive, lot of performance stuff out there for them too like the clones (gx390/420/440/460) have. Usually the largest pain with clones is getting the exhaust right, or quiet.

With my G9 yamaha the stock 420 home depot clone had about twice the power, it would spin big knobby 22s in the dirt, it was certainly 300% the fun of stock. Now it has rod and cam and stuff, it goes over 40mph but I rarely do speed runs that fast its not really up to it. I built it up to run trails where you gas it to the next turn and few of the trails have room and smooth enough to get over 30mph much....which is fine until I get a ATV front put on it. But other projects have gotten in the way.

I'd look at the HF twin for my next cart if I get one, it has lots of power. Only issue is they don't rev high without performance parts so you don't get much more speed unless you put HS gears in. Only the 460 will rev high stock, though a vanguard will get up there some with only a rev kit. Any other clone you need to put a rod in to get a lot of rpm without blowing it. I ran 38mph with my 420 stock crank and cam, worked head, big carb, 1.3 rockers, header. But I rarely run a road and wind it out, I only run up to 30mph 99% of the time. It never blew in 3-4 years of use. If it was road run it would have.
that is a good post sho
Bondohead is offline   Reply With Quote