View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009, 11:08 PM   #1
jeepwm69
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO charger cuts off before full charge

Model # 26984 Total Charge III. I got this charger used and put an old yellow two prong plug onto the charger as I am using it on our 1975 Cushman (I put this in the EZGO section since I believe it is a charger problem). For awhile the setup worked fine, but eventually the yellow cushman plug started falling apart from age, and then finally I got a bad loose connection that melted it (I could plug it in and wiggle it around and it would stay on and work). During the end of this plug's life I went back once to hear the charger rapidly cycling on and off, and the plug was extremely hot. This is when I decided to bite the bullet and get a new plug.

I ordered anohter plug, installed it, and tried it out. The charger seemed to work fine at first, but now when I plug the charger in, it clicks on for a second or two (meter goes to 20 amps) and the clicks right back off again. Jiggling plug does no good, plug fits tightly into receptacle. I took the cover off of the charger and the MOV 2 Varistor was gone, and one of the wires on the capacitor was loose (touched it and it came loose) and looks like I had some arcing in both places. I reattached the wire to capacitor and no change, although I did plug/unplug the charger a few times tonight and ONCE it stayed on for a few min. When I unplugged/ re-plugged it was back to 1-2 seconds then shuts off.

Batts read 37.7 volts BEFORE I put the pack on a 12V trickle charge for a couple of days (2 at a time) and they were all fairly close in voltage in the low 6's (this was after playing 18 holes twice, while the charger was apparently not staying on long after I left the shed).

Anyone have any suggestions on what this could be?

Thanks!
jeepwm69 is offline   Reply With Quote