View Single Post
Old 03-28-2023, 08:06 PM   #39
parks531
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2004 TXT hard start

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
I agree with everything trig said.

If you have an oil pressure gauge you can thread it into the port where the sending unit is. Don’t trust the sending unit if you have one, it’s just a dummy light in the dash and by the time it turns on you have zero oil pressure and damage is already done. Most of the engines without the light hooked up just have a plug in the hole. You can thread a manual gauge into it and see what your pressure actually is. It’s been a while but if I recall, around 60psi or better on a cold start, and averages between 25-40psi (depending on RPM) as you drive it. It only takes 2-3psi to turn the light on the dash off.

But I do agree, the motor needs to come apart now. Everything measured for wear. Your compression looks good so shouldn’t have to mess with the bottom half but I think you’ve got issues in your head. Worn valves and possibly carbon buildup in the exhaust ports. Due to the design of this head and the exhaust manifold you can’t see that buildup unless you remove the valve

CP241- thanks for all you and Trig'a help. I'll tear into this top end in the coming months as my schedule is going to be hectic. I do have an oil pressure gauge, where is the port for the oil pressure switch? I looked around on the engine and don't see a plug or anything, but I may be missing it in all the dirt and grime. Thanks!
parks531 is offline   Reply With Quote